This is from a veg cookbook purchased on the checkout lane at the grocery store but I'm not sure which. It is a lovely soup, and it gets better over a day or so. The ingredient list appears lengthy, but it is largely due to the yummy combination of spices. The original recipe calls for a combination of any veggies as long as you reach 4 cups (or a 16 oz bag of frozen veggies). I list specific veggies here as they are the ones recommended in the recipe.
- In a medium pan bring water and salt to a boil; add split peas and return to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 45 minutes or until tender. Do not drain.
- Meanwhile, steam vegetables until crisp tender.
- In a small skillet, cook curry powder, cumin, turmeric, ginger, and red pepper in hot oil for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- In a food processor or blender combine the undrained split peas and the spice mixture. Process until combined. If too thick, add water or warm broth. Transfer back to the medium saucepan and stir in the steamed vegetables. Heat through and serve.
- FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH--I highly recommend just leaving the split peas in the pan, adding spices, and using an immersion blender! Much simpler, and fewer dishes to wash :).