Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Xni-Pec is Mayan for dog's nose, so be prepared for a wet nose after tasting this fiery concoction! From Chile Pepper Magazine.
- 6 habanero peppers, roasted, peeled, stems and seeds removed, minced
- 3 plum tomatoes, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup white onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup sour orange juice or 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- Combine all the ingredients.
- Let sit for 30 minutes at room temperature and serve!
My Dh said it should be called the dogs bite! Flavorful and HOT! I made the mistake of not wearing gloves though and I am paying for it! Made for ZWT8
My sister lived in the Yucatan. When she came back to Canada she made it with fresh orange juice and white wine vinegar instead of sweet orange lime. She also does one with sour orange and cabbage tomato that is pretty amazing. Has anyone else tried the cabbage in salsa? Better than you would think!
I'd say that 4 Habaneros are plenty enough, 6 is a little intense. Overall though I loved this recipe and was very happy to find it after returning from Playa Del Carmen & having it all over the place there.