Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A nice hearty Italian stew, perfect for a cold night. Serve with a green salad and crusty bread for a meal, or serve small helpings as a starter. When using dried rosemary I always give it a beating with the mortar and pestle so the pieces are smaller and not so twig-like when eating. If you don't feel like roasting your own red and yellow peppers, feel free to substitute 2 6-oz. jars of roasted red peppers. You'll be missing the yellow, but it will be tasty.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 (19 ounce) can cannellini or 1 (19 ounce) can great northern beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper, roasted and julienned
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, roasted and julienned
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat and cook the onion and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth and bring mixture to a boil over high heat.
- Stir in beans, rosemary and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in roasted peppers and cook 3 minutes more.
Sorry Linorana, the stars disappeared! I liked this very much, and as with many dishes, is better the second day. Delicious with fresh grated parmesan.