Cook1 hr 20 mins
Roasted garlic adds a mellow smokiness to this hearty pureed soup. From Country Living magazine.
Make and share this White Bean and Roasted Garlic Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (reserve leaves for garnish, if desired)
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 2 (19 ounce) cans white kidney beans, drained and rinsed (cannellini)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaf, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- carrot, thin strips (optional)
- celery leaves (optional)
- Heat toaster oven or oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Tightly wrap garlic cloves in aluminum foil.
- Place on top shelf of oven and roast 30 to 35 minutes or until very tender.
- Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, in 4-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, and carrots; saute 8 to 10 minutes or until softened.
- Add water, beans, bay leaf, rosemary, and pepper.
- Heat to boiling over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, partially cover, and simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Break open skin of garlic cloves and squeeze softened garlic into soup mixture.
- Simmer uncovered 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- In blender, puree soup mixture in several batches.
- Return puree to saucepan and reheat briefly.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, divide soup among serving bowls and garnish each with some carrot strips and a celery leaf, if desired.