1/2 Photos of White Bean and Roasted Garlic Soup
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Roasted garlic adds a mellow smokiness to this hearty pureed soup. From Country Living magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (reserve leaves for garnish, if desired)
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 2 (19 ounce) cans white kidney beans, drained and rinsed (cannellini)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaf, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- carrot, thin strips (optional)
- celery leaves (optional)
- 1Heat toaster oven or oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2Tightly wrap garlic cloves in aluminum foil.
- 3Place on top shelf of oven and roast 30 to 35 minutes or until very tender.
- 4Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- 5Meanwhile, in 4-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- 6Add onion, celery, and carrots; saute 8 to 10 minutes or until softened.
- 7Add water, beans, bay leaf, rosemary, and pepper.
- 8Heat to boiling over high heat.
- 9Reduce heat to low, partially cover, and simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 10Break open skin of garlic cloves and squeeze softened garlic into soup mixture.
- 11Simmer uncovered 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 12Remove and discard bay leaf.
- 13In blender, puree soup mixture in several batches.
- 14Return puree to saucepan and reheat briefly.
- 15Salt and pepper to taste.
- 16To serve, divide soup among serving bowls and garnish each with some carrot strips and a celery leaf, if desired.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Bean and Roasted Garlic Soup
Serving Size: 1 (574 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 363.7
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 858.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.9 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 15.4 g