These were a staple in the Irish Channel in the good ole days. I still make mine in a cast iron pan but you can use any oven proof pan. For those who must have heat, add extra cayenne. To shorten baking time we sometimes nuke the potato chunks a little before adding to the oil.
- Pre heat oven to about 375-400.
- With a fork score all over the potatoes (peeled or not), this will make them more crisp.
- Chop the potatoes into 1 1/2-2 inch chunks.
- Put the oil in the pan (warming the pan first is good, but not vital), add potatoes, sprinkle all seasonings over (go easy with the salt; more can be added after cooking) and toss and stir potatoes with two forks until all chunks are coated.
- Bake for 15 mins, stir well (again with the forks), bake a further 10-15 minutes.
- Note: If you've nuked them, the potatoes will need a little less time. Watch them towards the last few minutes.