1/1 Photo of Watermelon Basket Fruit Salad
Since these are basic instructions, the number of servings will depend on the size of your fruit. It can serve a big crowd.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Take a sharp knife and slice a small thin piece off the bottom of your melon.
- 2This will allow the finished basket to sit flat on a plate or table without rolling.
- 3Next, take the tip of your knife (you can also use your pumpkin decorating tool out if you have one) or garnishing tool and score the watermelon in half, horizontally.
- 4Then mark a strip of about 1 1/2- 2" wide that will form the handle of your basket.
- 5If you have trouble seeing the score lines, you might want to try using a marker.
- 6Next, take your garnishing tool and start cutting around the melon on the lines.
- 7The garnishing tool naturally makes V shaped cuts, which makes doing a basket like this a breeze.
- 8If you do not have a garnishing tool, use a small knife and make the V cuts one side at a time.
- 9You could also forget the V and make straight cuts.
- 10To make separating the melon easier, and the finished product neater, turn your garnishing tool over, and go over the cuts in the opposite direction.
- 11Carefully separate the cut sides from the body of the watermelon.
- 12If you used a marking pen and there are any residual marks left, a handy way to get rid of them is to use a new emory board and gently sand them off.
- 13Take a melon baller and hollow out the inside of the watermelom.
- 14After removing all the edible parts, take a large spoon and gently scrape out the sides of your"basket".
- 15Be care not to scrape too thinly on the handle, as you want it to have some stability, even though you will never try to carry it this way.
- 16Mix the watermelon balls (or pieces, if you don't have a melon baller) with other ripe fresh fruits.
- 17To make the handle garnish, thinly slice lemons, limes or oranges and use a toothpick to affix them, along with a grape, melon ball or cherry, to the watermelon.
- 18Keep any extra fruit in a ziplock back and refill as it goes down!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Watermelon Basket Fruit Salad
Serving Size: 1 (5758 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1355.4
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 45.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 341.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.0 g
- Sugars 280.1 g
- Protein 27.5 g