Enduring Gastronomy's Note:
A versatile dish with a lima bean and corn base, legends rooting from the original Thanksgiving feast, and traditions from the South and New England regions. Add chicken, pork, sausage, ground beef, or shrimp for an omnivorous meal. Replace lima beans with edamame (soy beans), black beans, or green beans. Use red, yellow, or orange bell pepper. Add a twist with mushrooms, squash, potatoes, or asparagus. Replace rice vinegar with apple-cider or balsamic vinegar. Replace basil with mint, sage, oregano, creole seasoning, or cayenne pepper. Did I mention this dish is versatile?
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups frozen lima beans (1 package)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 red bell pepper (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup sweet onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels (1 package or about 4 ears or 1 can) or 2 cups fresh corn kernels (1 package or about 4 ears or 1 can) or 2 cups canned corn kernels (1 package or about 4 ears or 1 can)
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine or 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped or 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped, 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Cook frozen lima beans, according to package omitting salt, and drain well. Set aside.
- 2Chop bell pepper and onion. Mince garlic.
- 3In a skillet, heat canola oil over medium heat.
- 4Add bell pepper and onion. Stirring frequently, cook for 1 minute.
- 5Add garlic. Stirring frequently, cook for another minute, or until vegetables soften.
- 6Add corn, wine (or water), and lima bean. Stirring frequently, cook for 4 minutes.
- 7Remove from heat. Stir in vinegar, parsley, basil, salt, and ground black pepper.
- 8Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Corn Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Versatile Succotash
Serving Size: 1 (194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 132.8
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 227.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 4.7 g