My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup fine bulgur
- warm water, for soaking
- 2 cups mashed cooked pumpkin (about 2 1/2 pounds raw) or 16 ounces pure-pack canned pumpkin
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon grated black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne
- olive oil or vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1Soak the bulgur in warm water for 20 minutes.
- 3Transfer the bulgur to a food processor with the remaining ingredients except the oil and puree.
- 4If the mixture is too thin, add a little more flour.
- 5Shape into patties about 2-inches long, 1-inch wide, and 1/2-inch thick.
- 6Heat 1/8-inch oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- 7Fry the patties, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side.
- 8Serve warm or at room temperature.
- 9HINT; To cook fresh pumpkin, cut it into eighths, place in a large pot of lightly salted water, cover, and simmer over low heat until tender, about 15 minutes.
- 10Drain, cut off the peel, and mash.
- 11Gently press in a strainer to remove the excess liquid.
- 12VARIATIONS: Fritadas de Calabaza (Sephardic Pumpkin Patties): This batter will be looser than the bulgur version, and is dropped from a spoon.
- 13Omit the bulgur, 1/2 cup water, onion, garlic, coriander, pepper, allspice, cumin, and cayenne.
- 14Add 3 large eggs and 2 to 8 tablespoons granulated or brown sugar.
- 15If desired, also add 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, and a pinch of ground ginger.
- 16Kibbet Yatkeen bi Seniyeh (Syrian Baked Pumpkin Casserole): Spread the pumpkin mixture into an oiled 9-inch-square baking pan.
- 17Cut into diamonds or 1 1/2-inch squares.
- 18Drizzle with 1/4 cup vegetable oil.
- 19Bake in a 400-degree oven until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Syrian Pumpkin Patties
Serving Size: 1 (92 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 177.2
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 200.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 5.7 g