Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is another recipe I found by Dr. Weil; everything he makes is so healthy and good for you. This is a great recipe!
- 7 1⁄2 cups cooked pinto beans or 7 1⁄2 cups anasazi beans or 7 1⁄2 cups adzuki beans or 7 1⁄2 cups kidney beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 chipotle pepper (canned or dried)
- 1 tablespoon mild red new mexico chile powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 5 garlic cloves, mashed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Drain beans in a colander.
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven or saucepan. Add the onions and sauté over medium heat until onions are soft and golden.
- Crush the chipotle pepper if using dried, or mince if using canned.
- Add the chipotle pepper, red chile powder, oregano, cumin and allspice to the onions. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and beans. Simmer for 45 minutes, adding liquid if the mixture gets too dry.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and more chili if you want a hotter dish.
- Serve in bowls with warm tortillas. Garnish with chopped raw onion, chopped tomato, and shredded lettuce.