1/1 Photo of Vegetarian California Rolls (Sushi)
I found that these are one of the few foreign foods even French people will love ; ) They are really easy to make - trust me I'm a lazy cook! - and deceptively impressive when done!! Great for brown bagging too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (10 sheet) package nori (roasted seaweed)
- 4 cups sushi rice
- japanese rice wine vinegar
- 4 -6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cucumber, cut into thin strips lengthwise
- 2 -3 carrots, cut into thin strips lengthwise steamed
- 1 -2 avocado, sliced thinly lengthwise
- 1 bunch green onion, cut into thin strips lengthwise
- prepared wasabi paste (use sparingly it's really hot!)
- prepared plum sauce
- prepared pickled ginger
- soy sauce
- 1Prepare the sushi rice according to package instructions (I use a rice cooker - fool proof).
- 2Prepare your veggies while the rice is cooking.
- 3Once the rice is done put it in a bowl and season to taste with rice vinegar and sugar - the mixture should be pleasantly sweet and sour. Spread up the edges of the bowl to cool for a couple of minutes.
- 4Lay down a nori sheet on a rolling mat. Using a spoon dipped in water spread the rice (min. 1/2 in / 1.5 cm thick) on the nori leaving a strip of about 2 in / 5cm at the far side of the sheet facing away from you.
- 5Use a teaspoon to spread some plum sauce down the middle of the rice. Top with 1-2 slices of cucumber, carrots, avocado and green onion each depending on size of the veggies you cut (they need to spread all along the middle of the rice from end to end).
- 6Using your mat roll up the nori pressing down with your hands as you roll to keep the roll firm.
- 7Set the rolls on a plate with the bare strip of nori facing down. The moisture from the rice will seal the rolls. Let sit to firm up.
- 8Using a sharp knife cut the ends of the rolls and eat immediately ; )
- 9Cut the rest of the rolls into neat bite sized pieces and serve with the wasabi and pickled ginger and soy sauce for dipping - you may want to let your guests decide on how much wasabi to use, especially if they are French : ).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian California Rolls (Sushi)
Serving Size: 1 (316 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 564.7
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 29.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 117.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 9.9 g