Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This delicious and unique recipe is healthy, satisfying and easy to prepare. It's based on a recipe from the "Bon Appétit Test Kitchen" and was printed in their magazine (Jan. 2009). The chocolate and the mustard are not in the original recipe, but I think they add a nice depth that really compliments the citrus.
- 2 oranges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 (15 1/2 ounce) cansseasoned canned black beans, drained (can use unseasoned beans and increased the spices a little)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 -2 ounce dark chocolate (optional) or 1 -2 tablespoon chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (optional)
- hot pepper sauce, to taste
- sour cream or plain yogurt, to taste
- chopped fresh cilantro, to taste
- Grate enough orange peel to measure 1 1/2 teaspoons. Juice oranges.
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté 5 minutes. Mix in garlic and spices. Add beans, tomatoes, and half of orange juice. Simmer over medium heat until heated through and flavors blend, stirring often, about 15 minutes. Mix in orange peel and remaining orange juice (and, if using, the chocolate and mustard).
- Season to taste with hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Ladle chili into bowls. Top with sour cream and cilantro. Pass extra hot sauce alongside.