1 hr 10 mins
I make this for my daughters all the time and it's now a family stand-by. Easy, tasty and dinner's ready in about 1 hour. Serve with salad and hot cornbread. It's also really nice with shredded sharp cheddar sprinkled on top.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb button mushroom, quartered
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 -3 jalapenos, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (28 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can cut baby corn, drained
- 1 1/2 cups tomatoes or 1 1/2 cups V8 vegetable juice
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 small zucchini, cubed
- 1 (312 g) package tofu crumbles, like yves
- 1Cut unpeeled eggplant into 1/2 inch cubes.
- 2Place in a colander in the sink and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- 3Let stand to drain off any bitter juices.
- 4Rinse and drain again.
- 5In a large pot or saucepan heat oil over medium high heat.
- 6Add the eggplant, mushrooms, onion, hot peppers and chili powder.
- 7Cook, stirring often for 7 minutes.
- 8Stir in bell peppers, garlic,,oregano, basil and cumin.
- 9Cook for 3 minutes more.
- 10Stir in tomatoes with their juice, beans, corn, tomato juice or V-8, celery and tofu crumble.
- 11Cook for 20 minutes.
- 12Add zucchini and cook for 6 minutes more.
- 13Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- 14Mix well and bring to a boil.
- 15Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes stirring often.
- 16Add the zucchini and cook for 6-7 minutes.
- 17Adjust seasonings and serve.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Black Bean Chili
Serving Size: 1 (488 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 365.5
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1504.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.0 g
- Sugars 14.8 g
- Protein 20.0 g