Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
I make this for my daughters all the time and it's now a family stand-by. Easy, tasty and dinner's ready in about 1 hour. Serve with salad and hot cornbread. It's also really nice with shredded sharp cheddar sprinkled on top.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 lb button mushroom, quartered
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 -3 jalapenos, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (28 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) cancut baby corn, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomatoes or 1 1⁄2 cups V8 vegetable juice
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 small zucchini, cubed
- 1 (312 g) package tofu crumbles, like yves
- Cut unpeeled eggplant into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Place in a colander in the sink and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Let stand to drain off any bitter juices.
- Rinse and drain again.
- In a large pot or saucepan heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add the eggplant, mushrooms, onion, hot peppers and chili powder.
- Cook, stirring often for 7 minutes.
- Stir in bell peppers, garlic,,oregano, basil and cumin.
- Cook for 3 minutes more.
- Stir in tomatoes with their juice, beans, corn, tomato juice or V-8, celery and tofu crumble.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Add zucchini and cook for 6 minutes more.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes stirring often.
- Add the zucchini and cook for 6-7 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings and serve.
Great recipe, comes together really easy too. I made this without the tofu, because of the Mister and without the corn, because of me trying to stay Lower Carb... just the right amount of heat for us too! I will make this often!
I love this stuff! I have made this several times since I found this recipe and it is delicious. I used boca beef instead of tofu. This takes a while to make but it is so worth it, and it makes so much that I freeze some for later. You can't even tell it doesn't have meat in it. Very hearty and very yummy! Thanks!