Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
One of the members of our congregation made this for a dinner we had. It's been my favorite way to eat baked beans ever since.
- 1 (28 ounce) can vegetarian baked beans (such as Bush's)
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple (chunks or crushed)
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, diced small
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons black pepper
- Combine all ingredients (you can drain half the pineapple juice if you want to, but the more juice you use, the sweeter it will be).
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Did use the dark brown sugar 'cause I like the taste of molasses, & also cut the amount of pepper back to just under 1 teaspoon, which was still plenty for me! Very, very tasty (the sweetness here is just what we like!), & I liked the addition of cinnamon! Definitely on my keeper list! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]
This was truly inedible with that much pepper! I tried to fix it by doubling all of the other ingredients, and it was still too hot to eat. A friend also disliked it because it was extremely sweet. I had to throw it out!