Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
Great vegetarian stock.
Make and share this Vegetable Stock recipe from Food.com.
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 stalks celery, tough strings peeled, stalks cut into chunks
- 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 1 leek, halved lengthwise and washed thoroughly
- 2 fresh garlic cloves
- 2 1⁄4 quarts water
- In a large pot, combine all ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes.
- Strain stock and reserve for soups and sauces.
I'm no 'stock' expert, but this was easy and tasty. I added a bouquet garni. I added kosher salt at the end, but then again, I add salt to almost everything. I tripled the recipe and now I have stock in my freezer in 1-cup portions, as well as stock cubes, for when I just want a tablespoon or so. I've heard to always cover your veggies with "cold" water and bring to boiling, for a clearer stock, so I did that also. Thanks!
This stock was great. We used it to brine our Thanksgiving turkey as well as for our gravy and in a couple other side dishes that required stock. We didn't have leeks and used some extra onion and garlic. Definitely an easy and economical alternative to buying our own stock, especially since all the non-premium brands are loaded with salt and MSG. We'll use this again!
Well I don't know what I did wrong but I found it terribly lacking in taste. It could be a great way of getting rid of those weekold veggies in the fridge but would really need a lot of something to get flavour. Sorry it doesn't work for me.