Miss Erin's Note:
A lovely vegetarian version of a classic Spanish dish
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron thread, crushed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups short-grain rice, such as Valencia or 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 cup frozen green pea
- 1/2 cup frozen green beans
- 1/2 cup fresh asparagus tips
- 1 medium ripe tomato, coarsely chopped
- 4 artichoke hearts, quartered
- cooked green peas (for garnish)
- pimiento, slices (for garnish)
- 1In small cup, mix saffron threads with 1 tablespoons water and set aside.
- 2In large skillet or wide-bottom stockpot, heat olive oil.
- 3Add onion, garlic, and red and green bell peppers.
- 4Sauté 2 minutes.
- 5Stir in rice and sauté another minute or until rice grains are well coated in oil.
- 6Add water and bring to boil over high heat, then immediately reduce heat to medium.
- 7Stir in saffron-and-water mixture, tomato paste, salt, paprika, black pepper, and oregano, followed by peas, beans, asparagus tips, and tomato.
- 8Cover and cook over medium heat 15 minutes.
- 9Stir in artichoke hearts and set heat to low-medium.
- 10Cover and cook another 15 minutes or until rice grains are fluffy.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetable Paella
Serving Size: 1 (593 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 501.5
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1025.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.2 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 11.8 g