Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Someone brought me this soup along with a yummy whole wheat bread the day I came home from the hospital with my third child. It is very filling, very nutritious, and helps to keep my energy up. Be careful not to use too many vegetables or you will have stew instead of soup.
- 4 carrots, 1 grated, 3 chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 potatoes, chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, chopped
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 1⁄2 cup split peas
- 1⁄2 cup red lentil
- dill, to taste
- parsley, to taste
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Soak split peas until partially soft or boil.
- Grate some of the carrots and saute with onions and garlic.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cover with water.
- Cook for at least 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
Just reading this recipe makes me hungry for it!
This is delicious!! No one at our house likes zucchini, so I used a cup and a half of green beans. Thanks for the recipe!