Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
These buggers are tremendously challenging to find in any retail store, so I figured that it would be most prudent just to do it myself .. I have not attempted this particular recipe just yet, but plan to do so (and then follow up by using them in the "Easy Vegan Ravioli" - Easy Vegan Ravioli). Should anyone happen to try it out before me, I would love to hear your feedback. **this was found on the Vegweb site, posted by user: "aurorakitten". I have not altered a single detail. http://vegweb.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=38e1e34541e9c8ac9e5012eefefae3b1&topic=12606.0
- Sift together flour and salt in a bowl.
- Slowly stir in warm water - dough will be very stiff. Knead dough on floured surface till smooth, about 15 minutes. Cover with towel and let stand for 20 minutes.
- This part takes some elbow grease, be warned. Roll about a half of the dough out, as thin as you can. I'm not that strong so mine stay a little on the thick side. It should make thirty-two 3-inch squares but I'm lucky to get sixteen. Repeat for other half of dough.
- To store (if there are any leftovers, anyway) just sprinkle with cornstarch and keep in an airtight bag in the fridge or freezer.
- To make "eggless" or spring rolls just cut bigger squares, 6-8 inches or so.
- Serves: 8 servings of 4. (total of 32).
Just what I needed! Made these so my son w/egg allergy could have wontons w/the rest of the family & we liked these wonton wrappers better than the store bought kind. My husband had to do the final rolling (some very stiff dough) but it was fun since everyone got a chance to try (3 pre-schoolers in the house) and it turned out perfect! Also easier to wrap the wontons w/this rather than the store bought ;) Thanks for sharing!
I rolled this out with a pasta machine on level 7 to get the thinnest possible wonton skins. I think I got about 37 out of this recipe. Worked lovely in wonton soup.
Not bad for being vegan. I actually halved the recipe twice just to try it out and they were surprisingly easier to roll then mentioned. The flavor was good, as in, they didn't taste like flour or were too salty. Just right. I'll probably use these again. Thanks!