1/2 Photos of Vegan Spelt and Maize Tortillas
Chef Joey Z.'s Note:
I made these super simple tortillas for supper tonight. With only 3 ingredients you can't go wrong. I spread vegan sour cream on the tortilla, then put some cut up raw salad veggies and vegan shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, chopped green onion and chopped tomatoes in the tortilla. I sprinkled a few drops of Tabasco sauce on mine because I like the taste of it. This recipe makes quite a few tortillas, so we will have Chicken Breakfast Burritos in the morning. I have some Hopi corn that we grew last summer and I made it into the maize meal. Don't use corn meal or polenta from the store, you need to use maize meal. These will keep for about a week in the fridge. If they do get stale they can be torn into bit sized pieces and fried in oil until crisp, or bake them with some seasoning on them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine the flour and maize meal and sift them together into the large bowl of your stand mixer.
- 2Make a well in the flour/maize mixture and add the warm water.
- 3With the dough hook, combine the ingredients into a soft dough.
- 4Remove and make a disc and cut it into 16 pieces. Form each piece into a ball and put in a bowl and cover with saran wrap.
- 5Heat your tortilla pan until its very hot.
- 6Roll each ball out very thinly and cook until the edges curl slightly, then flip the tortilla for a few seconds. Put on a dish and cover with a lid.
- 7When you are done serve the tortillas warm by heating lightly either in the oven or microwave.
- 8Fill with your favourite fillings.
- 9Bon Appetit!
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Spelt and Maize Tortillas
Serving Size: 1 (570 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 73.9
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 2.1 g