Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is an amazingly easy, healthy soup made from healthy beans and a few wonderful vegetables, then seasoned with Indian Spices and pureed! You can use canned beans and tomatoes which means this is easier to make than a frozen pizza!
- 1 (12 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1 (12 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (12 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 carrot
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 potato
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- First, empty both cans of beans into a colander and rinse off all of the liquid that came from the can onto the beans. Leave aside until later.
- Chop all vegetables (Celery, Potato, Carrot, Garlic and Onion) into smaller pieces. Leave aside until later.
- In a large pot (preferably non-stick), heat 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil on medium-high and toss in Mustard Seeds. Heat until you hear the Mustard Seeds crackle a bit. Once this has been accomplished, toss in the chopped Garlic and Onion and stir around a bit with Turmeric and Cumin powder. After 30 seconds, toss in the rest of the chopped vegetables and canned Tomatoes.
- After 1 minute, toss in the beans, and the rest of the spices and basil. If you like your soups spicier (like me) then put in more Curry powder than the recipe calls for. Stir in the 2 cups of Water at this time as well. If it seems 2 cups will make the soup too thin, then only add 1 or 1.5 cups.
- After heating this concoction for 5 minutes or so, use a hand-held immersion blender (or food processor) to blend it all up. I like mine blended up pretty good, but it tastes great no matter the texture.
- Once it has been blended up, add salt to taste. Leave the temperature on low-medium for a couple of minutes longer to let the spices seep in more.