1/1 Photo of Vegan Italian-Style Wild Rice and Vegetables
I got this recipe (slightly altered) from The Vegan Gourmet expanded 2nd edition cookbook. It's light, tasty, easy and very healthy! This dish goes very well with a light garlic bread and mixed green salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup long grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 4 cups cauliflower florets, coarsely chopped (1 head)
- 5 cups broccoli florets, coarsely chopped (4 bunches)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans green beans, French style
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a small pot over medium heat. Add the rice and 1 tbsp each of basil and oregano. Stir for 1 minute and add the water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until rice is tender, 30-45 minutes.
- 2While rice is cooking, chop the broccoli and cauliflower and drain the cans of green beans.
- 3In a large, deep pan over medium heat, add the rest of the oil. Once heated, add the garlic, stir until fragrant, then add the broccoli and cauliflower. Toss until they begin to soften, then add the can of tomatoes, juice and all, as well as the rest of the basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Toss well and loosely cover to let some of the steam out.
- 4Uncover every few minutes and stir until the vegetables are fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Next, add the green beans, toss well to combine, turn the heat down to low, and loosely cover until the rice is done.
- 5To serve, place only a few small spoonfuls of rice on a plate and cover with lots of vegetables.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Italian-Style Wild Rice and Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (543 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 285.4
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 336.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 10.3 g