Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Stolen. It's a bad habit, I know. I hold my head low in shame. I'll be in the confessional-second door to your right.
- 1 lb firm tomato (organic, fresh ideal)
- 1⁄4 cup tomato juice, approximately, to aid in blending
- 1⁄2 cup white onion, chopped coarsely
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped (save some of the leaves for garnish)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin or 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground cumin seed
- 1⁄2-1 hot pepper, minced (read *Note)
- *Note: Use any type of chili in this recipe depending on if you want a mild, medium, hot or explosively hot salsa.
- Place all ingredients in food processor or blender and process to desired consistency using the PULSE setting. This particular salsa we like smooth, not chunky or semi-chunky.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover and allow to sit at least 1 hour.
- Before serving, taste salsa and adjust ingredients if necessary. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Yield is estimated as are the ingredient amounts.
I don't know where the Valle De Smaragdos is but they sure make a darn good salsa. The only changes I made were to use V-8 juice instead of the tomato juice and to use 5 jalapenos peppers. I'm a burn fanatic.