Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 hrs
A granita is sort of like sorbet (but icier)...sort of like a refined snow-cone. This one, with mango and raspberries, is a dazzling ruby red. Cook time is freeze time. From Better Homes and Gardens February 2002.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat dissolve the sugar in the water.
- Remove from heat and add frozen raspberries and the mango chunks.
- Pour into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve (although, I personally wouldn't bother, except for a special occasion- those raspberry seeds add fiber!).
- You should have about 2 cups fruit mixture.
- Pour mixture into a 13x9x2 baking dish and freeze for 1-2 hours until mixture is slushy and nearly frozen.
- Stir well, being sure to scrape the sides of the pan.
- Spread mixture to evenly cover the bottom of pan or container and freeze 8 hours or overnight.
- To serve, let stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes (or until scoop-able).
- Scoop into dishes and garnish with fresh raspberries, if desired.
I made this for our mother's day meal, and served in stemware. I did strain out the seeds (which took some effort!) but it was worth it. Beautiful, dark red and tastes wonderful. Everyone really enjoyed this! Thanks~