This is a simple yet delightfully tasty curry. It is refreshing in the fact that nothing spoils the wonderful taste of potatoes. It is often served with other curried or spicy meat dishes or vegetarian.
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 2 tablespoons oil or 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, brown
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons ginger, fresh grated
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon chili powder, according to taste
- 1⁄3 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water, hot
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Peel and cube potatoes in 1 1/2 inch dice. Heat oil in medium pan.
- Cook mustard seeds until they start to pop. Add the onion and ginger stirring well, then add the turmeric, cumin and chili powder; stir quickly.
- Add potatoes, salt and water; simmer until nearly done. Add the garam masala and lemon juice. Cook for a further few minutes; slightly thicken with corn flour if necessary.
- Garnish with the mint, serve either with other curries, rice, or just with rice and Dahl.