I have been trying for years to duplicate the salsa served in authentic Mexican restaurants. I've tried soooo many recipes, and none of them ever panned out. Too juciy, too pasty, too sweet, too bland....So I came up with my own through much trial and error. This recipe makes a medium-hot temperature. Warning: This is addictive! The only way to make it better is to serve it with fresh guacamole.
- 8 medium plum tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1⁄3 cup sweet onion, very finely diced
- 3 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 garlic clove, minced very fine or run through a press
- 1⁄3 cup pickled jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 limes, juice of, to taste (or more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch sugar
- Mix all ingredients in large nonreactive bowl. Refrigerate, covered, at least 2 hours. Taste, and readjust seasoning if needed.