Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Made this one up myself from random things in the pantry - I was craving a nice light asian meal on a hot day and this is what I got! This is exteremely versatile: pick your favorite protein and run with it. Also feel free to add any pre-cooked veggies of your choosing. Really, this is just a base for any number of great meals.
- 1 (7 1/4 ounce) package udon noodles, with soup base of your choice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (or more)
- 3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce (or more)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup tofu or 1⁄2 cup cooked chicken or 1⁄2 cup cooked pork or 1⁄2 cup cooked shrimp, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1⁄4 cup peas
- Put protein in a large flat dish and cover with the soy sauce, terriyaki,1 tsp sesame oil and red pepper to taste. Let sit for about 15-20 minutes, flipping pieces over a few times to get everything evenly covered.
- Cook the noodles according to package directions but do not add the soup packet - save it for later. Make sure to keep them al dente and not to overcook or they will get mushy and fall apart. Drain when done.
- Heat up the remaining oil and stir fry garlic for 1 min, add the protein(reserving marinade) and cook until heated through.
- Toss in the peas (defrosted, if frozen) and cook for minute.
- Finally, add the noodles with 1/2 it's seasoning and 1-2 TB of the reserved marinade. Lightly toss until heated and serve at once.
Made for Fall PAC 2012 and this was an easy meal for my DD and I after a hectic day of moving my mother. I did add some onions and cooked them up a little and DD wanted tofu so that is what I used. Wonderful!