1 hr 5 mins
This is the classic Russian recipe to a fabulous side dish, the cabbage cooks a lot, so that it's flavor is mild and mixed with the other ingredients, very delicious. It's perfect next to chicken or beef.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a cast iron or ceramic pot, heat up the oil, and sautee the onions until soft and translucent. Don't brown them.
- 2Add the shredded cabbage, and on a medium heat, cook for 2-3 minutes, mixing well.
- 3Add the water, and reduce the heat to small-medium, and continue cooking the cabbage until it's soft, about 30-40 minutes. The cabbage will release it's own water, so you don't need to worry that it will be dried out. Mix every so often, just to be sure, and if it does get dry, go ahead and add just a bit of water more.
- 4When the cabbage is soft, mix in the drained saurkraut, and cook for 10minutes longer.
- 5Mix in the tomato paste, salt and pepper. The color should be orange. If you would like to add some dill, this is the time to do so.
- 6Cook for 5-10min longer, and taste for seasoning.
- 7Serve hot. Reheats very well in a microwave, and stays fresh in the fridge for 5-7days.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tushonaya Kapusta (Russian-Style Stewed Cabbage)
Serving Size: 1 (159 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 58.2
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 477.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 2.3 g