1/1 Photo of Turnips/Rutabaga Simmered in Date Syrup (Maye' Al-Shalgham)
We enjoy this delicious Iraqi recipe. It gives turnips/rutabaga/swedes a delicately sweet taste and a lovely hue. Modified from, Delights from the Garden of Eden by Nawal Nasrallah. NOTE: If using the small real white and purple type of turnip do not leave to soak in the water date syrup mixture after cooking as they may become waterlogged.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel turnips and cut into thick wedges and then slice into each wedge sideways but not all the way through. (I say sideways yet you may not understand what I mean by that but I don't know the word for it!? Not vertical, not horizontal) This will be to let the date syrup soak in better.
- 2Put them all in a medium pot, add date syrup and cover slightly with cold water.
- 3Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for about 30-45 minutes depending on turnips age.
- 4Serve warm, sprinkled with a dash of sea salt if wished.
- 5If not eating right away see note in introduction.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turnips/Rutabaga Simmered in Date Syrup (Maye' Al-Shalgham)
Serving Size: 1 (267 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 179.5
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 166.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 30.8 g
- Protein 2.0 g