We enjoy this delicious Iraqi recipe. It gives turnips/rutabaga/swedes a delicately sweet taste and a lovely hue. Modified from, Delights from the Garden of Eden by Nawal Nasrallah. NOTE: If using the small real white and purple type of turnip do not leave to soak in the water date syrup mixture after cooking as they may become waterlogged.
- Peel turnips and cut into thick wedges and then slice into each wedge sideways but not all the way through. (I say sideways yet you may not understand what I mean by that but I don't know the word for it!? Not vertical, not horizontal) This will be to let the date syrup soak in better.
- Put them all in a medium pot, add date syrup and cover slightly with cold water.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for about 30-45 minutes depending on turnips age.
- Serve warm, sprinkled with a dash of sea salt if wished.
- If not eating right away see note in introduction.