1/7 Photos of Traditional Martini
Martinis are in! The key to an excellent martini is to ensure that it is ice cold. The classic martini has only two ingredients--so it's important to use the best ingredients you can afford. Vermouth should be stored in the refrigerator to retain its flavor. Energetic shaking with ice coupled with some flair is vital for a smooth/silky result. Stirring produces a crystal-clear martini but it will never get as cold as a shaken martini. This is also called an "in and out martini" or "spitting the vermouth." It results in a well balanced martini every time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1First inspect your martini glass for cleanliness
- 2Then, fill the glass with ice and water.
- 3Next grab your cocktail shaker and fill it with ice and the appropriate alcohol. Shake the alcohol to properly chill it. (No more than 30 seconds, as the alcohol will dilute in the ice and lose its integrity.) Use lots of flair! Make your martinis memorable even if it is just Friday evening at home.
- 4Then dump out the water and ice from the glass.
- 5Next pour dry vermouth around the top edge of the glass, holding your finger over the air spout. (This controls the pour.)
- 6Then swirl the glass to make sure the vermouth has fully coated the inner surface of the glass.
- 7Next dump the vermouth into the sink, and strain in the chilled liquor.
- 8Finally, add the olive (or if they are small, several). I think it is always best to spear the olives with a cocktail pick of some sort, otherwise you will find your guests unseemly digging their fingers into their martini in order to retrieve the delectable olive. If you want a dirty martini add some olive juice.
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Traditional Martini
Serving Size: 1 (159 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 266.2
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 0.0 g