Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe is for a pressure canner and IS NOT suitable for a water bath canner.
Make and share this Tomato Soup - Canning recipe recipe from Food.com.
- In a large pot cook tomatoes until soft.
- Press through a food mill.
- In a saucepan combine all of the other veg and add enough water to just cover.
- Cook to tender, drain and put veg thru a food mill.
- Now combine the two puree's and add salt and herbs.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook slowly until thick, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Ladle into clean hot jars leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Process in a pressure caner 20 minutes at 10 pounds pressure at altitudes up to 2000 feet.
This was a simple and tasty recipe. We tasted it and decided to Dr. it up a bit. We added 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne and a squeeze of lemon. I can't wait to pop open a jar and serve it with a grilled cheese sandwich for a quick, comfort food meal. Thanks for posting the recipe.
i am just making tomato soup right now have onions, peppers, chile peppers, celery & saw that you have added carrots so that is better than sugar so I wen to the garden & to a few but have to wait till it boils down before I add them sounds good to me will edit this later when it is done or tomorrow......
This is a wonderful soup. I think the flavor is the best of any tomatoe soup I have ever had. Everybody who has had this thinks it puts the commercial soups to shame. I made one batch of this last year with our garden tomatoes. My husband said he could eat this everyday...no sugar, no milk, no butter:) Thank you.