Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove loose, papery skin from garlic, leaving heads intact.
- Place garlic on a sheet of heavy-duty foil; drizzle with 1/4 teaspoon olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Loosely wrap foil around garlic, folding foil edges securely.
- Roast until garlic has softened, about 40 minutes, then transfer to plate.
- Open carefully and discard foil; let garlic cool.
- Separate garlic into cloves.
- Squeeze soft garlic from each clove into a small bowl; set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium flame, heat remaining 1/4 teaspoon olive oil.
- Add onion, celery and roasted garlic.
- Cover and cook until vegetables soften, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, 1 cup water, bay leaf, basil, oregano, thyme and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes to blend flavors.
- Remove bay leaf.
- In a blender, puree soup in batches until smooth.