Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove loose, papery skin from garlic, leaving heads intact.
- Place garlic on a sheet of heavy-duty foil; drizzle with 1/4 teaspoon olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Loosely wrap foil around garlic, folding foil edges securely.
- Roast until garlic has softened, about 40 minutes, then transfer to plate.
- Open carefully and discard foil; let garlic cool.
- Separate garlic into cloves.
- Squeeze soft garlic from each clove into a small bowl; set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium flame, heat remaining 1/4 teaspoon olive oil.
- Add onion, celery and roasted garlic.
- Cover and cook until vegetables soften, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, 1 cup water, bay leaf, basil, oregano, thyme and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes to blend flavors.
- Remove bay leaf.
- In a blender, puree soup in batches until smooth.
Yummy and very easy! I was looking for something to do with all these cheap fresh tomatoes I had, and tried this recipe. I roasted the tomatoes in the oven at the same time as the garlic, then peeled and chopped them into the soup. Have made lots of it and frozen it for future use. It is very tasty and I am going to try it chilled as well as hot, depending on the season. Thank you for sharing this lovely recipe!! Tricia in Oz
I tried this recipe, but seeing how there are only two people in our home I halfed the recipe. I also found that the servings were very large, so the half did enough for three people.