Quick and simple, this is nice with any fried meat or fish. Serve something green like salad, green beans or peas alongside for a nice contrast of colors. NOTE: Edited version for improved rice-water-ratio.
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 cup diced tomato (fresh or canned)
- 1 cup hot water (3/4 cup if using canned tomatoes)
- 1 -2 garlic clove, cut into thin slices
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped (use 1 t dried basil alternatively)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- Heat oil, fry garlic until fragant but don't let it brown; Add tomates, stir until hot.
- Add rice, basil, salt,(sugar, red pepper) and water; Bring to a boil, reduce heat to minimum and cook covered until done, 18-20 minutes.
- Add black pepper and a little more fresh chopped basil if you like and serve garnished with some basil leaves.