Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A delicious little accent from the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. While this recipe is written in an old-fashioned way, it is perfectly safe if processed using modern methods. If you are unfamiliar with these techniques, please go to http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_home.html for the current information.
- Select tomatoes about the size of small plums.
- Pour boiling water over them and cover tightly for two minutes; drain quickly and cover with cold water.
- Peel, being careful not to break the tomatoes.
- Place the sugar and tomatoes in a crock or non-reactive bowl and let stand overnight.
- Drain off the juice and boil rapidly until it threads when dripped into a glass of cold water.
- Add tomatoes and thinly sliced lemon.
- Cook until clear and thick.
- Fill sterilized jar and seal.