A delicious little accent from the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. While this recipe is written in an old-fashioned way, it is perfectly safe if processed using modern methods. If you are unfamiliar with these techniques, please go to http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_home.html for the current information.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Select tomatoes about the size of small plums.
- 2Pour boiling water over them and cover tightly for two minutes; drain quickly and cover with cold water.
- 3Peel, being careful not to break the tomatoes.
- 4Place the sugar and tomatoes in a crock or non-reactive bowl and let stand overnight.
- 5Drain off the juice and boil rapidly until it threads when dripped into a glass of cold water.
- 6Add tomatoes and thinly sliced lemon.
- 7Cook until clear and thick.
- 8Fill sterilized jar and seal.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Preserves
Serving Size: 1 (812 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1264.3
- Calories from Fat 11
- Total Fat 1.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 25.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 329.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 311.6 g
- Protein 5.2 g