1/1 Photo of Tomato and Lentil Soup
1 hr 10 mins
I made this at work this morning (x 8 times this recipe!) so I've borrowed the book to copy it and a few more out I'm interested in.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, quasrtered and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 250 g red lentils
- 1 1/4 liters water
- 350 ml tomato juice
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
- 1Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Add the leek, carrot, onion and garlic, cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or stirring frequently until the leek and onion are a little softened.
- 3Rinse and drain the lentils, picking them over for any foreign matter.
- 4Add the lentils to the pan and stir in the waster, juice and tomatoes, Add the cumin, coriander, bayleaf and a large pinch of salt.
- 5Bring to the boil and reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 45 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- 6you can now puree the soup if you prefer it smoother or leave it as it is.
- 7Season well with salt and pepper before serving.
- 8Garnish each serving with a sprinkling of fresh parsley.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato and Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (424 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 212.1
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 179.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 12.0 g