1 hr 10 mins
sprout 13's Note:
A flavorful, hearty main that is low fat and vegan. The "twist" is foregoing tomato sauce and including eggplant and chili powder to the filling instead. The filling holds together better than most eggless mixtures of this type and could also be used as a vegetarian loaf. Some nuts or seeds would be a good addition to the filling to provide textural contrast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400 F and prepare a 9X13 pan by spraying with cooking spray or oiling lightly.
- 2Cook brown rice according to package directions. You could use 1 1/2 c leftover rice instead.
- 3Meanwhile, prepare vegetables according to ingredients list. Also, halve peppers longitudinally and remove seeds and membrane.
- 4Saute eggplant in a frying pan on medium-high heat in half the oil. Season with chili powder, salt, and pepper. Remove to a large, heat-resistant bowl when cooked.
- 5Add remaining oil to the pan and saute tofu, garlic, and scallions. Season with salt, pepper, and chili powder and cook until tofu becomes golden and somewhat crisp. Place in bowl with eggplant.
- 6Add cooked rice to the vegetables and stir to combine. Make a slurry of the cornstarch and broth and add to the mixture.
- 7Lightly salt bell pepper cavities if desired. Pack with filling mixture and put in prepared pan. Add enough water or broth to the pan to fill it by about 1/2 inch.
- 8Bake for 30 minutes, or until filling is crisp on top and peppers are cooked, but not mushy.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tofu-Stuffed Bell Peppers With a Twist
Serving Size: 1 (388 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 290.8
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.3 mg
- Sodium 130.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 13.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: