Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I got this recipe from Vegetarian times, but they got it from Moosewood.
Make and share this Tofu and Mushroom Marsala recipe from Food.com.
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups marsala wine
- 16 ounces firm tofu, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 16 ounces)
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper
- 1 loaf crusty bread
- In a pot on medium heat, cook the garlic in the oil just until it sizzles, then add the bell peppers, oregano, and salt.
- Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add the Marsala and the tofu and cook on high heat for 4 minutes to reduce the wine a bit.
- Add the mushrooms and tomatoes and cook on medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the basil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with plenty of crusty bread to soak up the flavorful broth.
Definitely give this recipe a chance -- it was excellent with these two minor changes: 1) Decrease the wine to 1/2 cup, and 2) add a tablespoon or so of tamari for a delicious, mellow, savoury flavour. The mushrooms add a lot of water in the cooking process, and the stew indeed is quite bland with the seasonings listed.
I was disappointed with this recipe. It tasted more like basil soup than it did Marsala. Next time, I would use half as much wine (unless your aim is to get drunk) and add more spices, as it tasted very bland. I would also add flour or tomato paste to help thicken up the "sauce"/broth.