This is a simple, healthy, and unusually spiced soup. It is really satisfying.
Make and share this Tibetan Lentil Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 fresh chili pepper
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 potato, diced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3 cups undrained canned tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- Bring the lentils and water to a boil, then reduce the hear, cover and simmer until tender- about 20 minutes Meanwhile, heat oil and saute the onions, garlic and chile for 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, coriander and cumin and saute for another minute, stirring to prevent sticking.
- Remove from the heat and set aside When lentils are tender, coarsely chop the tomatoes right in the can and stir them into the soup pot.
- Add the chopped cilantro, salt, and sauteed vegetables.
- Cover and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until all of the vegetables are tender.
Another recipe that FAR surpassed my expectations! The combination of ingredients in this recipe is absolutely wonderful and the spices compliment each other perfectly! The only change I made was in using fresh tomatoes instead of canned. This made a delicious dinner with bread and cheese. Thanks SO MUCH Tish! I'm gonna make this a lot!
Terrific comfort soup, the recipe instructions mentioned cumin, but it wasn't included in ingredients, so threw in 2 teaspoons. Tasty, filling and healthy. Will definitely be making this soup again.
This made an excellent soup, Tish. I also used fresh tomatoes instead of canned. A nice blend of spices and textures. Husband and I took this to work for lunch. Very filling, hearty, flavorful, and best of all, healthy. Thanks for sharing it.