Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This sweet & sour garlicy hot sauce is adapted from the Passionate Vegetarian. It's good on congee and a variety of vegetable dishes.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar or 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup minced garlic, about 15 cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- Combine all but the crushed red pepper flakes in a small saucepan.
- Simmer about 20 minutes, until liquid reduces to a light syrup.
- Stir in the red pepper flakes.
- Keep refrigerated in a jar.
- Shake before use.
- Keeps indefinately.
This is a wonderful sauce. It reminds me of the sauce you get with spring rolls in Thailand. Thanks!
My mom makes this in a large batch and always shares it with me... however she doesn't ever measure anything so it is almost impossible to replicate her results on my own. When I showed her this recipe, she said it was very close to her own... I think the taste it very very authentic!!! I love to dip grilled Thai chicken into this sauce and also my eggrolls. This sauce is so easy to throw together and keep on hand. Far superior to the bottled sauces out there. Thanks for sharing!
Great recipe. Makes a fabulous sauce, which tastes as though it was made by a professional. I made a half-quantity, which yielded enough for a small jar in the fridge and a small bowlful for immediate use. This would make an excellent and unusual small gift. Reviewed for Pick A Chef, Fall 2007.