Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Another little recipe I found in our local paper. This one has NO meat in it, but feel free to add pieces of chicken or other tender meat to this mix. Small pieces will cook in the time required for the noodles to become tender. Or, just serve with grilled or pan seared chicken.
- In a wide skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook for 10 min, until quite reduced in size and golden, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 min more.
- Break the vermicelli into short lengths (2 inches or so) and add them to the skillet as you do.
- Stir and cook for 3-4 minute They will turn opaque and then begin to brown.
- Stir them often, and when many of them are brown and the others are opaque, add the salt, pepper, cumin, green chilies, tomato sauce, and water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 min or until the noodles are tender.
Made this per recipe, except used chicken stock instead of water. Makes a great side dish for a large mexican meal. Totally yummy!
I used chicken broth instead of water and added about 1/4 lb. of browned ground beef (fat drained). Sprinkled the finished fideo with grated queso fresco.
It was really easy and my 1 & 3 year-old kids loved it. My husband and I thought it was just ok--a little bland. It's a good base but you'll have to tweak it to suit your taste.