Prep 10 mins
Cook 38 mins
Entered for safe-keeping, from Clean Eating, Fall 2008. Should be a great spread, maybe even a dip, for raw vegetables or whole wheat crackers. Can't wait to try this.
- COOK POTATOES:.
- In a saucepan, cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer over medium heat until potatoes are soft when pierced with a knife (about 30 minutes). (During this period, prepare sauce.).
- Remove from saucepan. When cool, remove skin.
- PREPARE SAUCE:.
- While potatoes are cooking, peel carrot and onion, and chop into small pieces.
- Place chopped carrot and onion into another saucepan and cover with 1/2 cup of water.
- Simmer carrots and onions until soft, about 8 minutes.
- COMBINE IN FOOD PROCESSOR:.
- Pureee sweet potato in a food processor with tahini or almond butter, curry powder, and ground cumin until just combined.
- Add carrot-onion mixture and puree until smooth.
This was made into a sandwich filling/Arabic bread and was delicious with spinach leaves and arugula. Luckily, we received a few organic sweet potatoes (orange flesh) in our CSA box and I only made a half portion. Topped with fresh cilantro, I added red onion and the water used to cook the sweet potatoes was the same water used to cook the onion and carrot. Homemade tahini and homemade roasted curry powder. Drained off most of the carrot/onion cooking liquid and used some of the liquid to help blend the mixture. Reviewed for Veg Tag/July.
Recipenap from V'gn Swap 7-09. I love sweet potatoes and this dish is awesome! I used half an onion and a couple of small spring onions and the almond butter. I put everything in the blender, once cooked, except I tried it before adding the spices. It had a sweet flavor. The spices give it a bit of a kick (but not hot). Mine was not dry at all! Almost too thin. Next time, I might use a bit bigger potatoes or drain the veggies. My Bosch blender worked fine. I could eat this just as a side dish alone. Thanks for a keeper. UPDATE: This made it into my Top Fav's of 2009 cookbook. Original Review 07-16-09.
This was a very different but great dip. It is easy and so healthy. All those flavors really go together. We ate it with pita chips. Made for Veg*nSwap.