A lot of sweet potato bread recipies on Zaar seem to have a lot of butter and sugar in, but this version is the type you'd make a cheese sandwich with!
- Peel and dice the potatoes, then boil them for about 15 minutes or until tender. Drain, and then mash thoroughly. Leave to cool.
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl, then add the yeast, caraway seeds and black pepper.
- Add the sweet potato and rub it in well.
- Add enough water to make a soft dough, and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Leave the dough in a warm place until doubled in size (1-2 hours).
- Knock back the dough on a floured surface and knead again briefly. Place in a greased loaf tin and leave to rise again for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/ gas mark 6 and bake the loaf for 30-35 minutes until the bread is risen, golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped underneath.
This is a very tasty bread, and not sweet! Went well with some split pea soup. Love the caraway.