Prep 2 hrs
Cook 50 mins
This recipe is adapted from _Sundays at Moosewood To shuck the fresh peas it took me 45 minutes to shell them!
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh peeled ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon homemade garam masala, which we happened to have on hand or 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (I don't like it and didn't use it, but Moosewood does)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 cups fresh green peas
- Braise/deglaze onions and garlic in a pot for 5-10 minutes.
- Mix in the ginger, salt, and all spices and cook for a few minutes, stirring often.
- Add tomatoes and sweet potato, stir. Add 1 1/2 cups of water, stir.
- Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of the peas and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add remaining 2 cups of water.
- Puree in batches in a blender until smooth. return to the pot, add the last cup of peas, and cook on medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
We really liked this soup. I used less salt and cayenne and subbed broth for the water. I also omitted the cardamom/cloves/cinnamon since there is quite a lot of that flavor in the garam masala I use. I used the full amount of the turmeric and thought it gave the soup a great base flavor. Everything was very harmonious and it was comforting on a cold night.
Other than using frozen peas, and omitting the salt, followed this down the line. Loved the spiciness, and the flavors. Seeing, that I am trying to eat a little healthier this year, this fit the bill, and my 2 kids really enjoyed it, as the rush for 2nds began. Great soup for weight watchers, or for anyone wantimg a low-fat soup pack with flavor. Made for best of Cookbook tag January 2012.
Followed your recipe but did use frozen peas & we loved that the resulting soup was so full of flavor & spicy goodness! A keeper recipe, for sure! Thanks for sharing it! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]