Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
My mom used to make this salad when she was a caterer. At first, people where afraid of it. However, once a few brave souls gave it a try; it's popularity grew in our small town.
- Remove peel from oranges, and slice 1/8 inch slices across to make discs.
- Clean onion and slice into discs also (as thin as possible).
- Seperate onion slices into rings.
- Put oranges and onions together in a medium to large bowl.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top.
- Toss to mix evenly.
- Let sit a few minutes before serving.
- Best if it can sit at least an hour.
- Can be eaten as is, or used as a topping for a green salad.
I used 1 orange and half a Vidalia for a quick and economical salad for 1. Serve on a bed of mixed greens with some warm homemade bread and you have a nice light lunch. Thanks for a new favorite! Made and enjoyed for PAC Spring '09.
My wife said "Your mixing what together?" After she tried it on some fresh spinach with our grilled peach glazed wild boar country ribs. "These are such a great compliment to each other." was her response. A definite "will repeat" recipe.
This is great! Delicious combination. So simple and fast and the ingredients are nearly always on hand. I subbed Splenda for the powdered sugar and it worked just fine.