Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I came up with this on a night when I had nothing in the kitchen. I was trying to follow a low fat vegetarian diet at the time, and this actually was very satisfying. I couldn't call them barbecue beans, because...well, because they're not! It's very easy, quick and nutritious, almost like chili, but not quite. All measurements given are estimations.
- olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 -2 ripe tomato, chopped
- 1 can kidney bean, with liquid
- 1 (4 ounce) cansliced black olives, drained
- barbecue sauce, to taste (I used an organic brand, Wild Thymes Spicy Barbecue; it's chunky, hot and sweet, but not smoky)
- red hot sauce, to taste
- beer, maybe 1/2 cup (optional)
- Spray non stick skillet with olive oil to lightly coat (if using something that is not non stick, you may have to use more oil.) When hot, add onions.
- After those just start to wilt, add garlic and dry spices.
- Continue until aromatic and golden.
- Add tomatoes and cook until they soften and release liquid.
- Reduce heat and add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer until slightly thickened.
- If mixture gets too thick, add water.
- Serve as a side dish or with noodles or rice.
- I had them as a main course with no-yolk egg noodles and it was surprisingly good.