From the book "Real Vegetarian Thai." It's one of my new favorites--I put a tablespoon of it in just about everything I stir-fry. If you're not a spicy fan, you can turn down the heat by adding less of the chili sauce.
- In a saucepan, comine the sugar, water, vinegar, garlic and salt.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Turn to medium-low and keep cooking until the sauce is a little syrupy (18-25 min).
- Remove from heat and add the chili sauce--mix well; it will turn a nice amber-orange.
- Let cool to room temperature, then keep refrigerate in an airtight jar for up to three weeks.
- When using, heat a little bit until it thins to a slightly syrupy consistency.