1/7 Photos of Swedish Rye Bread
Another blue ribbon bread. This bread is hearty, but not heavy, has a nice flavor, and makes great sandwiches. It is not as easy and light to knead as my white bread... maybe it builds muscles! We all love this bread, my mother especially loved it. This freezes well, if you want to save the second loaf for another time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put warm water into glass measuring (1) cup and check temperature with thermometer.
- 2Sprinkle yeast into warm water and let stand.
- 3In another glass measuring cup (2 cup) place water and Crisco.
- 4Microwave to hot, to melt fat.
- 5In a large bowl, combine sugar, molasses, and salt.
- 6Pour the Crisco water into bowl. (I usually pour it into, over the bowl, the 1/4 measuring cup I had the sugar, then the molasses inches To get all of the goodies into the bowl!).
- 7Stir until sugar dissolves.
- 8Cool to lukewarm (85°F It will probably cool to that as you dissolve the sugar, you just don't want to kill the yeast with too high a temp.).
- 9Stir in rye flour and beat well. (I use my electric hand mixer).
- 10Add yeast and caraway seed, and mix well.
- 11Stir in enough regular flour to make a soft dough.
- 12Cover with clean towel and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 13Generously sprinkle kneading surface with flour.
- 14Knead for 10 minutes.
- 15Place dough in lightly greased bowl and turn to coat all surfaces.
- 16Cover and let rise in warm draft free space, until doubled, about 2 hours.
- 17Punch down.
- 18Turn out onto lightly floured surface.
- 19Divide in two (I use a bread knife to slice the ball in half).
- 20Shape each piece into smooth ball, cover, and let rest 10 minutes (this is called proofing).
- 21Form each into two round loaves, and place on greased baking sheet.
- 22Cover and let rise in warm place (I put them in oven with the light on) until doubled again, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 23If you put them in oven to rise, make sure you take them out before lighting oven!
- 24Bake at 375°F for about 30 minutes.
- 25If loaves are getting too brown, you may cover with foil near the end of baking.
- 26Brush tops, when done, with butter for a soft crust.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swedish Rye Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1380 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1739.7
- Calories from Fat 170
- Total Fat 18.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3528.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 351.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 26.5 g
- Sugars 52.2 g
- Protein 43.1 g