Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Cooking Light (March 2002).
Make and share this Sushi-rice Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups uncooked sushi rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated and peeled
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4-3⁄4 teaspoon prepared wasabi
Additional Salad Ingredients
- 1 cup English cucumber, julienned and peeled
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 sheet nori, cut into 2-inch julienne strips (seaweed)
- RICE: Rinse rice thoroughly in a sieve.
- Drain well.
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan; add rice and salt.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat; uncover and cool to room temperature.
- DRESSING: Combine vinegar and next 6 ingredients (vinegar through wasabi) in a small bowl.
- Combine cooled rice, dressing, cucumber, onion, and sesame seeds in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle evenly with nori.
The great thing about this recipe is that it is flexible. Add stuff you like (chopped red cabbage is a personal favorite), omit stuff you don't. Do watch the vinegar, it does benefit from sugar. Also I don't use any salt because of a restricted diet. Experiment and enjoy!
I thought this was excellent, and my family agreed. I omitted the red onion and the wasabi, and replaced it with avocado cubes. I added this individually so it wouldn't become mashed up along with the salad. This was just my personal preference. Next time I might throw in some smoked salmon. I'll definitely make it again.
I enjoyed this rice! I added smoked salmon (slivers) The dressing was good. I soaked my nori sheet before I julienned it..might have changed the texture a bit. Thank you for posting!