1/2 Photos of Sushi Rice
I tried making this after watching the Good Eats episode "Wake Up Little Sushi" with Alton Brown. It turned out really great. The original recipe called for 1 tbsp of kosher salt, but some reviewers said that it was way too much and that 1 tsp was plenty. I made this using only 1 tsp of kosher salt, so that is how I've posted it here.
My Private Note
cups co ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the rice into a saucepan and cover with cool water.
- 2Swirl the rice in the water, pour off and repeat 2 to 3 times or until the water is clear.
- 3Place rice and 2 cups of water into a medium saucepan and place over high heat; Bring to a boil, uncovered.
- 4Once it begins to boil, reduce the heat to the lowest setting and cover; Cook for 15 minutes.
- 5Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- 6Combine the rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl and heat in the microwave on high for 30 to 45 seconds.
- 7Transfer the rice into a large wooden or glass mixing bowl and add the vinegar mixture.
- 8Fan the rice (a paper plate works well) while gently folding in the vinegar mixture.
- 9Allow to cool to room temperature before using to make sushi or sashimi.
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sushi Rice
Serving Size: 1 (221 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 733.2
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 892.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 163.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 12.6 g