I adore sushi, but my BH refuses to even look at it, let alone eat it. I thought he was squeamish about the fish, but after I made some vegetarian sushi he still wouldn't go near it (yay, more for me). It turns out that the seaweed also gives him the heebie jeebies. Here's a recipe that even the sushi sissies will go for.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Add the vinegar and sugar to the rice, and mix well.
- 2The purpose in this is not just to mix the flavors into the rice, but also to cool the rice just a little bit.
- 3Soften each leaf of lettuce by dipping it into boiling water for just a few seconds, until it can be easily rolled.
- 4Remove the lettuce from the water with tongs (unless you have asbestos fingers), and place flat, internal side down, on a kitchen towel to drain.
- 5Place about 2 tablespoons of rice in the center of each leaf.
- 6Top with a cucumber strip and with a carrot strip.
- 7Fold the sides of the leaf over the rice, and then roll the ends up over the filling to form a tight and compact bundle.
- 8Continue with the other 7 lettuce leaves, making 8"sushi" bundles in all.
- 9Place in a single layer on a dish and chill until serving time.
- 10Allow at leave 15 minutes chilling time.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sushi for Sissies
Serving Size: 1 (87 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 72.4
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 1.4 g