Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A beautiful, brightly-colored, flavorful bagel. Great with soup, used for a sandwich, or just toasted!
- Measure ingredients into bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select Dough Cycle.
- When done, remove dough to a lightly floured surface; cover with a large bowl and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Shape the dough into a round cylinder about a foot long.
- Cut into 8 portions 1 1/2 inches (4 cm) wide. Push thumbs through the center of each piece and pull into a bagel shape, rounding all the surfaces.
- Place dough on prepared baking sheet; cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place for 30 to 45 minutes or until doubled in volume.
- Bring a large pot of water and 1 tbsp sugar to a gentle yet full boil.
- Immerse bagels in water one at a time, turning upside down. Hold under the water for 20 seconds with a skimmer or large spoon until the dough becomes a little puffy.
- Bake on slightly greased baking sheet in preheated 400 degree oven for 15 minutes or until the bagels sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Before baking, you can brush the tops with egg white for crispier outer layer.