Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
The figs are coming in & wanted a recipe to preserve their summery goodness. I keep these in the fridge for now but will try to can at some point. I use these for Fig Upside Down Cake, alongside vanilla ice cream, mixed into homemade vanilla & lemon gelato, on greek yogurt for breakfast & right out of the jar just because they are so good!
- 3 lbs fresh figs, firm ripe, stems on
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 cup fresh ginger, julienned
- 3 tablespoons hazelnut-flavored liqueur (Frangelica) (optional)
- Dissolve the sugars in 2/3 cup water.
- Add the unpeeled figs to the hot syrup. Cover & simmer 30 minutes.
- Turn off heat & let sit covered 8 hours.
- Reheat to simmer, add julienned ginger & simmer covered 30 minutes until figs become translucent. Add optional Frangelica & simmer 5 minutes more.
- Let cool.
- Pack into quart or 1/2 gallon glass jars & refrigerate.